Creativity: Mind Wandering: Play



One of my first favorite lines from a book was Winnie the Pooh when Pooh asked Christopher Robin him what he was doing and he replied, 'nothing':
“What I like doing best is Nothing."

"How do you do Nothing," asked Pooh after he had wondered for a long time.

"Well, it's when people call out at you just as you're going off to do it, 'What are you going to do, Christopher Robin?' and you say, 'Oh, Nothing,' and then you go and do it.

It means just going along, listening to all the things you can't hear, and not bothering."

"Oh!" said Pooh.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh 

My high school yearbook quote:
I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/isaac_newton_387031
'I don't know what I may seem to the world, but as to myself, I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.' -Sir Isaac Newton

I've always been the kind of person that loves people and loves to be alone.  I would spaceout and daydream a lot when I was younger, more often than I do now.   I feel our minds need time and space to play together and alone, and we need that space of 'nothing' to let insight and inspiration rise to the surface of our consciousness.  (Could someone fund me to go study this at the graduate level, please?)

You know the space when you are looking at rocks or leaves on a hike, or when you are in the bath, or sitting in stillness? It’s not structured meditation but it is a form of meditation, I think and this is time well spent.  I have so many questions.  Do some types of play help us tap into our creativity? And what is mind wandering, and how does it feed into our creativity?  Are there certain types of activities that seem like play, and you experience 'flow' or mind wandering and do you notice any benefits from this?  I'm searching for answers though researching and surveying you.


When  I came across the work of Rex Jung and began to examine my own experinces with insight and creativity.  When do I get ideas?  Around 26 minutes into this video, BBC: The Creative Brain: How Insight Works , they point out sometimes 'less is better' and nerve traffic slows down and there is an 'idea space' that can bring an idea to the surface and foster divergent thought.


There are so many benefits of play and I am interested in all of them, but the quiet introspection, slow, meandering, nothingness, can be a quiet form of play and can help innovators too.  I imagine this is the first of many posts on this topic.



I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me.
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/isaac_newton_387031

Comments

Popular Posts